Monday 29 February 2016

#29faces Challenge: The Last Leg of the Journey!

Even though I haven't posted for the last few days and updated on my progress with the challenge, I have continued to draw and paint my daily faces and I am very pleased to say that I have completed the challenge. It has been a challenge particularly for me since faces are not my forte. I have seen myself grow in confidence and be inspired as time progressed and I am very proud of what I have achieved.

Along the way, I have met extremely talented artists and I have seen mind blowing works of art. I am truly humbled to have been a part of this vibrant community and will definitely miss it.

Without further ado, here are the last faces of the challenge:

Day 23:


I went back to the Evil Queen. This is one of my favourite characters from the Disney movies. It was really interesting drawing an older lady as the features are so much more complex than those of a younger lady.

Day 24:


Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. After drawing the complex Evil Queen, I needed to draw someone cute for a change!

Day 25:

 After watching Brave with my daughter, I just HAD to draw Merida. She is definitely one of my favourite Disney Princess. I just love how unconventional she is and how free she is. However, I felt too chicken to tackle that glorious hair of hers and I was too afraid not to do it justice so I picked a picture of her with her hair imprisoned in her headdress.

Day 26:



I had just finished to do this sketch and was not really planning on colouring it but after posting it on the group page, I decided that I hadn't done it justice so I went back and coloured it. I have to say that I'm particularly proud of the skin colour I used, especially for the cheeks. Mixing colours in watercolour is something I'm just starting to do. Because I'm too lazy to go to town and get some flesh coloured pans, I tried to use what I had in hand, and make some flesh colour of my own... This is one of the rare cases where laziness paid!

Day 27:

Back to a quick and easy sketch of Leela from Futurama. Nice and easy with bold colours (and my very own brand of purple that I mixed all on my own!)

Day 28:


This is one character I have been meaning to draw for a long time. It's Arale from the manga Dr Slump.

Day 29:


This is a completely new and original creation. I wanted to do something big for the last day and I hesitated between winging it or picking some very elaborate sketch and in the end, I winged it. One of my favourite artists is Tim Burton. I love how eternally startled his characters always are. The lines are often simple but always effective. I more or less inspired myself from someone I knew a long time ago and I put a spin on him. I am desperate to practice nebulae and this was the perfect occasion for it. It was a bit tricky staying within my lines but I did it. And I had to add a raven because I'm all about ravens. Somehow, I feel that the background should not be white and I might change it at some point. This is by far the biggest portrait I did (A3!).

So this is it for this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment